Job: Production Apprentice
Do you love working with your hands?
We are looking for someone who is...
- Friendly, enthusiastic, and enjoys following recipes
- A team player that prefers physical jobs to sitting at a desk
- Takes direction well and loves to learn new things
- Passionate about their work, taking pride and care in everything they do
- Reliable, precise, and organized
- Looking for long-term work for at least 2 years or more
- Looking for a part-time job minimum of 15 hours up to 24 hours per week depending on the season. (Busy season is June-December) Could be up to 35 hours per week if you are able to serve customers on the sales floor and work 2-3 Saturdays per month.
- Able to work independently without supervision after training period
- At least 18 years old
You will enjoy...
- A fun, cozy, positive, delightful place to work with an amazing team and customers
- A fairly regular schedule that you can schedule your life around
- Soap and cosmetic making training
- $13.00 per hour to start depending on experience, with a raise when you can work independently after about 90 days.
- Generous employee discounts
- Washing dishes, mopping, general clean up
- Labeling and shrink wrapping
- Keeping accurate records of batches made
- Soapmaking and body care making prep: weighing oils, lining molds, setting out packaging, mixes bases, cutting soap
- Taking inventory
- Putting together gift packages
- Safely mixing lye
- Keeping backroom neat and organized
- Covering for sales staff over their lunch break
- Packing and shipping orders
- Comfortable lifting 35 pounds above your waist many times per day and move 50 pounds occasionally. This is the weight of our oil containers. This is a physical job!
- Read small print
- Be on your feet for 4+ hours in a stretch.
- Go up and down stairs several times per day while carrying up to 25 pounds.
- Move around in tight and slippery spaces
- Able to be around strong scents and essential oils
- Sign a non-disclosure, non-compete agreement.
- Proficient with basic math and measuring with a scale
- Read and write English at a ninth-grade level
- Comfortable with technology and computers
- Must clean up and sanitize after working, including dishes, mopping, organizing, and other clean up
- Have availability between the hours of 8 am-6 pm M-F, and occassional Saturday 10-4. Production happens M-F. Could be half or full days.
- Willing to take a drug test
- A minimum two-year commitment is preferred as it takes about 9-12 months to be fully trained.
- Proper Covid Protocols are Non-Negotiable! Our staff is fully vaxxed and boosted and wear masks. We require that all new hires are as well.
This is a great job for someone that loves to work with their hands, loves baking or science. Soapmaking is one part baking, one part science, and one part art. This is a fun but very physical job. Please note the lifting requirements.
Previous experience in a professional kitchen, lab, or pottery studio is a real plus. We're a team of former teachers, so if you're looking for a change in jobs, you may like working with us!
Soapy Gnome has a great team and amazing customers. We strive to provide a cozy shopping experience for our customers, listening to their needs and helping them make the perfect purchase. We want Soapy Gnome to be their happy place and yours!
Directions for Application
To apply, send a resume or job history to email@example.com with “Job Inquiry” in the subject line. Please include a cover letter and a list of three references, two of which should be work, school, or volunteer related. If you are someone with limited job experience, you may include volunteer work, classwork, or relevant hobbies.
We will begin scheduling interviews with qualified candidates on February 1st, so don’t delay!